Science and technology is mandatory for all students from Kindergarten to Year 6.
In science and technology, students explore the natural and made worlds. They learn how to apply scientific and technological skills, knowledge and understanding across a broad range of contexts.
Science provides a way of inquiring about the world around us. It explores evidence and investigates ways to discover, develop and produce solutions to real world problems. The inquiry and skill-based nature of science opens doors to ideas and discoveries.
The aim of the Science and Technology K–6 Syllabus is to:
- foster students' sense of wonder and expand their natural curiosity about the world around them in order to develop their understanding of, interest in, and enthusiasm for science and technology
- develop students' competence and creativity in applying the processes of Working Scientifically and Working Technologically to appreciate and understand the Natural Environment and Made Environment
- enhance students' confidence in making evidence-based decisions about the influences of science and technology in their lives
- enable students to confidently respond to needs and opportunities when designing solutions relevant to science and technology in their lives.
VALUES AND ATTITUDES
- develop interest and positive, informed values and attitudes towards science and technology
- recognise the importance and relevance of science and technology in their lives now and for the future.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- develop knowledge, understanding of and skills in applying the processes of Working Scientifically
- develop knowledge, understanding of and skills in applying the processes of Working Technologically
- develop knowledge of the Natural Environment through understanding about the Physical World, Earth and Space, and Living World
- develop knowledge and understanding of the Natural Environment and the Made Environment through the Material World
- develop knowledge and understanding of the Made Environment through Built Environments, Information and Products.